Located in Upper Austria, surrounded by mountains and a crystal clear lake, the charming village of Hallstatt has not only attracted thousands and thousands of visitors from all parts of the world but the Chinese also needed one right away so they came, saw, measured and copied the whole damn thing. And the result?
OH GEE, better than an LV imitation. And what the 800 villagers had to say about it? Well, not everyone was keen to get an instant twin this way. But be it West or East, in Austria or China the place definitely worth a day-off or two. If you rather check out the place in it’s original version here are the top 5 things to do when you are there:
- Take a stroll around the village to explore its traditional buildings, narrow streets and hidden corners.
- Get a sneak-peek of the place on water. Either it’s a ferry, a paddle boat or candlelit boat ride the experience is unbeatable.
- Enjoy a lakeside gourmet feast in one of the traditional Gasthofs around the Hallstätter See.
- Let the funicular get you high up the hills.
- Check-out the painted skulls in the Bone House at Michael’s Chapel
+1 tip: make your way out of town to ride on a barge, slide down the miners’ shoot and visit the “Man in Salt” in the Hallstatt Salt Mine.
Unbeatable view of the charming village of Hallstatt
Traditional and inviting – homes by the lake
Hallstatt goes contemporary
Memories of a bygone era
Winter to come
Ominously decorative – Bone House at St. Michael’s Chapel
Are you traveling around Austria? Don’t miss out on
- the sparkly village of Wattens
- an unusual morning in Vienna
- an afternoon off the beaten track in Vienna
- a silent night in the hidden village of Hinterthiersee
- a classy weekend getaway in a secret boutique wellness hotel